This blog is a journal of my experiences being a commercial, wedding and portrait photographer and how I’ve built a business that can:
- support a family of four
- let my husband to quit his day job four years ago to join the business
- bring in a multi-six-figure revenue on photography alone
- save for retirement and college
- work hard/play hard…still have fun including just this year white-water rafting down the Grand Canyon for a week, taking a two-week road trip with the kids, and taking a two-week winter vacation to Florida and a lot of free days in between.
- have the freedom and flexibility for both my husband and I to be involved in my kids life.
While I’ve been in photography for nine years and have been raising a family of four on photography for the last four years, I’m still growing. I’m a big trier of things (like portfolio reviews, seminars, email campaigns, retail, and this blog!). I plan to share those things that I’m trying and be very candid about what works.
I have a business background and I’m passionate about helping other photographers with their business. I hope this blog will do that on a bigger scale. I currently give talks on business to art schools as part of my role on the ASMP board and I found there had been little or no education in this area….which is crazy because most will need to become entrepreneurs if they want to pursue a career in photography. Therefore, I also plan for this to be an education platform where I can share what we’ve done to successfully raise a family on photography.
Thank you for reading and please share the site if you like what you read!